January 4, 2013

The Final Days of Knits

Last month, I announced that I will be discontinuing knitwear from my shop. I've been considering this for quite sometime and decided that 2013 was going to be the year. It was a very hard decision to make since it's what I opened my shop with in 2006. I still love to knit, but knitting as a business made me really hate it. And I don't want to hate it. Over the years, it has become a real problem of limited space because I have to keep a lot of yarn stocked that I don't really have the room for. I don't have the luxury of having a separate studio space yet, so during the busy season (winter) I usually end up with half of my yarn stash in my car. And in all honesty, I hardly sell any knits through my Etsy shop throughout the year but at shows (like Renegade Craft and Unique LA) I sell out of almost everything. What I was getting out of it was not equaling the amount of time I was putting into it. Whenever I have to spend long hours on production, I keep thinking about how I would rather be doing something else. I will still make stuff for friends by request, but at this time I'm not sure if I'll try to pursue it again in the future.

For years, I've been wanting to make more year-round products but wasn't really sure what I wanted to make. With the recent success of the "Real Jobs" button series, I got the confidence boost I needed to pursue paper goods and other products that combine my graphic design background with my love for making things. 2013 is going to be an exciting and scary year for the shop as I take it in a new direction and dive head first into the unknown.

So if there's something you've had your eye on for a while, head over to the shop. There's a 13% Off Sale going on til tomorrow with code: HELLO2013.

Thank you so much to all my friends (old & new) for all the love & support through the years. I couldn't have done it without you!

 

No comments :

Post a Comment