June 25, 2012

Weekend Food Recap

After seeing many of my friends' delicious photos, I finally made a trip over to UMAMIcatessan. Compared to the regular UMAMI Burger restaurants, the menu is way more extensive and way more adventurous. I wasn't really feeling like red meat on Thursday, so I got the Ahi Tuna Burger. It was perfect because it satisfied my burger and sushi craving at the same time! It was a quarter pound of hand-chopped Ahi tuna that was lightly seared with crushed avocado, pickled ginger, sprouts, and wasabi flake.


We got the mini potato knishes as a side. They had a nice cinnamon-y sweetness that went well with the tangy grain mustard. I'm always about warm potato-y goodness.


Then for dessert, since the State of California is banning foie gras starting July 1st, we got the FG&J donut.


That's right, it's a foie gras & jelly donut! It wasn't my favorite but it wasn't horrible. It definitely looked like a PB&J donut on the inside and it kinda tasted like one except a little more game-y. I've had foie gras before, but in a cold-pressed paté like state and I don't mind it. I grew up eating duck paté with a baguette as a mid-day snack so it's no big deal. But this donut was definitely a bit overwhelming for me.


On Saturday after paying a visit to the new Poketo store, I stopped by The Pie Hole. Me being a totally sucker for both curry and puff pastry, I had to have the curry puff. It was a veggie/potato curry (kinda similar to a potato samosa) served with a homemade cherry tomato chutney.


On Saturday, we celebrated my friend Janet's birthday with a beach bbq. I made some simple hot dogs in some toasted King's Hawaiian rolls. I've been in the habit of using them instead of regular hot dog buns mostly because they're not dry like generic cheap buns and they're totally delicious! I got the idea after many trips to DogHaus where they only use King's Hawaiian rolls as burger and hot dog buns.


On Sunday, I picked up my bff who was home for the week from Berkeley. When I asked her what she was craving and missed, her response was "Tacos!!!" LA definitely has the best tacos ranging from super cheap to more artisan/gourmet variety. We took a trip to Guisados where most of their tacos are stewed meats. I got the Mole Poblano and the Chuleta en Salsa Verde.


Their tortillas are handmade and are made as you order. I love them because they have the perfect amount of doughy chewiness. The Chuleta was my favorite of the two. They have a sampler available that comes with 6 mini tacos for anyone who doesn't know what to order. I had the sampler once and it was totally delicious but I couldn't remember which ones I liked because they don't list which ones it comes with. Also, size-wise, I prefer the sampler because a full-size taco of some of their meats can become too much. And they definitely don't skimp on the meat regardless of whether you get the sampler or the regular size tacos.

Summer brings one of my favorite things: Fosselman's Fresh Peach Ice Cream! I've been going there since high school and I love that they do seasonal flavors along with the flavors that are available all year round. Peach is typically available from the first day of June til the last day of August. Their ice cream contains 60% butter fat which makes it really creamery yet airy.


6 comments :