March 13, 2012

Looking Onward


As the clock dwindles down on this semester, I can't help but think of what life will be like after. I'm finding it hard to believe that it's already March. May is fast approaching and I'm not really sure how I'm going to make it through these next couple of months. But I can't wait. Sure I'll be saying bye to summer vacations and hello to work, but I'll be saying goodbye to assigned school projects. I'll finally have the time to work on all the side projects I have saved up because I'll finally be able to leave work at work. That's the one thing I hate about school. As much as I love working hard, I hate the amount of time I spend working on school projects outside of school. And as much as I love my school friends, I'm tired of being around designers all day. Outside of school, most of the people I hang out with are illustrators/artists, bloggers, makers/small business owners, etc. Everyone is different and quirky in their own way. And we just sit (or stand) around talking about food or pop culture or random things.

I was reading The Fox is Black the other day, and Bobby mentioned this quote from How To Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon:


It helps to live around interesting people, and not necessarily people who do what you do. I feel a little incestuous when I hang out with only writers and artists, so I enjoy the many filmmakers, musicians, and tech geeks who live in Austin. Oh, and food. The food should be good. You have to find a place that feeds you – creatively, socially, spiritually, and literally.

Even if you set up a new home, you need to leave it now and then. And at some point, you just need to move on. The good news is that nowadays, a lot of your peers are right where you left them – on the Internet.

I've been ready to move on for a while now and I'm just growing extremely impatient for the coming months. I'm looking forward to returning to a life that doesn't involve sitting at a computer all day.

No comments :

Post a Comment